Friday, September 12, 2008

the interview

I won't repost the Charlie Gibson interview. If you really want to see it, it's readily available on youtube. You can tell that Charlie Gibson is really trying to be tough, but he still comes off as a nice guy and a pushover. I wish that this interview had been done by Tom Brokaw, or in an ideal world, Tim Russert (my he rest in peace). But regardless, here are my thoughts:

  • Sarah Palin said that she is willing to go to war with Russia (in the context of saying that Ukraine and Georgia should become part of NATO and then if they are attacked, we would have to defend them). She didn't even mention attempting to find any other solution aside from war. I think that is dangerous and will be potentially devastating for the country.
  • That line about referring to Abraham Lincoln's "we pray not that we are on gods's side but that he is on ours" line when addressing the church about the Iraq war last year is complete BS. She was clearly instructed on how to answer the inevitable questions on that topic, but I don't think it flies.
  • Her waffle on global warming was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. She would not answer Charlie's question, which was legitimate. You can't address global warming unless you have an actual idea of what is causing it. Her response on this topic was indistiguishable from Bush's.
  • ANWR...We have been fighting for years to protect this area. It is a small area of land within a larger preserved area, but it is a crucial area, and the only area that Caribou are able to breed. Destroy this, and destroy the caribou population. Not to mention the indigenous groups that would suffer from loss of land and livelihood.
  • She actually used the "Alaska is near Russia line" and went further to say that you can actually see Russia from Alaska. I see sailboats in the Charles River almost everyday on my way to and from work, but that doesn't make me know how to sail.
I have to give her a little credit though:
  • She is confident. But, it seems to me to be cocky confidence, not the humble confidence of a true leader. She is so certain in her own beliefs, I just don't have faith that she would listen to other sides on an issue.

No comments: